Home » » Fringe Inspiration: What We Love and Hate About Bangs

Fringe Inspiration: What We Love and Hate About Bangs


As Meech Obama joins the ever growing list of fringe fans (think, Beyonce, K-Middy, Kim K…), we thought now was as good a time as any to address the particular power of the face framing trim. Should you, would you, could join the fringe pack too?

First up let’s be clear. Few such small snips can have more impact on the way you look thus when it comes to giving the fringe a go, the stakes are high.  However, in terms of instantly transforming your look you do get some (ahem) serious bangs for your buck. While many think that fringes don’t work with their face shape, what you should really be investigating is what type of fringe suits you. Not all fringes are created equal and infinitesimal tweaks majorly impinge on how your face looks. As we said, high stakes.

Over my lifetime of fringes I’ve had trims which have been so great people have stopped me on the street to ask who does my hair. I’ve also some heinous self-scissored horrors and a handful of stay-indoors-for-three-weeks-preying- it-grows-back–salon butcher jobs.

Obama Bangs It!

As for my face shape, I have prominent features (euphemism for a sizeable schnozcumber) as well as a seven finger forehead. For me, a short elfin or blunt Lisbeth fringe looks manly and emphasises the aforementioned conk and spam, but such styles can open up small featured faces and draw attention to your eyes. A too-long fringe makes everyone, myself included, look dowdy and unkempt. Too little hair in the fringe makes it look flyaway, while too much hair in the fringe is difficult to keep sleek. Side sweep fringes are universally flattering, so a good place to start for novices.

Other points to consider include whether you want to reveal or conceal your temples. If you go for a rounded 70s style fringe which kisses your cheekbones at the edges, you will make your face look rounder. If your temples are on show, the look is more fashion-y and you get a more angular visage. Fringes are a tool for contouring your face and unlike surgery you can experiment. Some you win, some you lose, but you should never give up on your first punt.

Recently I’ve had much more hair cut into my fringe and my temples are unusually on show. People keep telling me that I look ‘different’ without the follow-up of ‘nice.’ While they may not be the flattering bangs I’ve ever had, I don’t mind – it’s always good to change things up, plus they really does grow back in a fortnight, so who cares? That’s the beauty of bangs.

But don’t just take my word for it. At Grazia HQ fringes inspire much ire and adulation and nearly everyone has a fringe story to explain both the pros and cons.

Take Assistant Editor Caroline Barrett – a current fringe sporter who tells us, “I’m ALWAYS cutting my fringe myself and I’m ALWAYS scissor-happy therefore cutting too much . I’ve lost count of the number of times I’ve suffered eye-brow ache from walking around with a permanent look of surprise on my face in order to make my fringe appear longer (it works btw).” Fellow fringe fan Grazia Columist Polly Vernon reveals that she calls her fringe, “Botox for beginners,” and worries that she, “may be addicted to them.”

But not all fringe stories have a happy ending. Fashion Assistant Caroline Ferry recounts one fringe trim from hell. “I went to a new place just to get the hair out of my eyes and they cut my fringe dry. Slowly I saw my cowslick rising until I ended up with a Mod-like mini fringe. My friends called me John Lennon for two months. It then took three years to grow out. I rued the day I had my fringe cut – although to be fair I did love it for a while.”

Still undecided? Why not click through our gallery of bangs beauties above to help you make up your mind!

 

 


Via: Fringe Inspiration: What We Love and Hate About Bangs
Share this article :
 
Copyright © 2013. Hairstyles And Fashion - All Rights Reserved
Proudly powered by Blogger